As members of the United Christian Democratic Party, we ought to know that we have to: work, plan, decide, suffer and be happy together; in UNITY (as one).
What remains is that we should be sure that we in, unity, agree on what Christian Democracy is?
Insight into the extent of Christian Democracy around the world brings to light that the international organization of Christian democratic parties, the Centrist Democrat International (CDI) is the second largest international political organization in the world, second only to the Socialist International.
Christian Democracy is therefore not a small grouping of disgruntled individuals as late Pro Kader Asmal was wont to say.
Christian Democracy is found in almost all parts of the world even in countries such as Belarus.
In Europe, the Christian Democratic Party of Norway (Norway), the Christian Democratic Union (CDU), Christian Social Union (Bavaria) and the Christian Appeal in the Netherlands are the nearest examples of Christian Democracy in advanced democracies. In fact in Germany the Christian Democratic Union is in power.
Christian democracy is a political ideology that has to respond to the anti-Christian and anti- cultural ideology of the French Revolution and Marxism.
It also has to respond to the anti-worker and anti social nature of Darwinism and laissez-faire capitalism
Christian Democracy is conservative – it focuses on the health of the community in regard to moral and cultural issues.
Christian Democracy is also progressive as it focuses on social justice, labour, and socio-economic issues
- claims a strong social conscience in the sense of great respect for the dignity of the human person from conception to natural death (i.e. a pro life stance)
- emphasizes the alleviation of poverty and maintenance of a basic level of societal protection and welfare state if necessary
- strives to keep the weak from abandonment and destitution
- strives to incentivise market forces for the common good
- upholds human rights and individual initiative as it encourages personal responsibility
- is federalist and traditional as it emphasizes sphere sovereignty and subsidiarity
- Encourages the maintenance of local and regional cultural distinctiveness as well as upholding universal traditions such as marriages between two genders. It is opposed to abortion and same-sex marriages
- Advocates positive stewardship of creation and avoids activities that destroy the environment
Any one worth their salt should find peace of mind to belong to a Christian environment as stated by profound thinkers such as Martin Luther when he said:
“I am afraid that the schools will prove to be wide gates to hell unless they diligently labour in explaining the Holy Scriptures, engraving them on the hearts of the youth. I advise no one to place their child where the Scriptures do not reign paramount. Any institution in which men are not constantly occupied with the Word of God must become corrupt”.
This as indicated above may apply to all institutions, even political parties. The UCDP members should therefore not feel small or shrink to belong to this party as, if they do the right things, they will be on the right way in bringing up their children and in their deliberations.
The UCDP does not have a confessional criterion for membership or service; it does not require members to be “born again” Christians
The above criteria are in tandem with the philosophy of the party that the UCDP:
LOVES, RESPECTS, SERVES, CONSULTS and is TOLERANT of humankind.
Sent by: Sipho Mfundisi
Deputy President: UCDP